If you are serious about becoming a homeowner someday, you need to find out where you are today and what you need to do to get yourself in the position to be able to buy. Many potential homeowners think that they are not ready when they really are. Don't let yourself down by not knowing what you need in order to be ready and how to get it. The following plan will help you get yourself organized for the journey to your own house.
1. Speak with a good real estate buyer's agent who can provide you with information and advice on the home buying process and provide you with referrals to various professionals who can help you get ready.
2. Find a great mortgage professional who can review your financial picture including your savings and credit history. This helpful assistant can give you a plan to save the needed down payment, let you know about any special financing options that might be available to you, and help you to straighten out your credit rating if need be. Do Not Use A Credit Repair Service unless it is recommended by an attorney. Many of these services do not provide the help that you really need.
3. Spend Less and Save More. That's easy for me to say with gas prices being what they are but you can probably find a hundred ways to cut back on your current spending habits and save the extra money for your future.
4. Check with local county, state, and not for profit agencies for programs that may be available to prepare you for home ownership and may provide funds for down payment assistance or help with closing costs.
5. Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity or another rehabilitation group to gain building skills and maintenance knowledge that will help you if you choose to buy a house that needs work. A word to the wise here... Every house needs work so you will appreciate the knowledge gained from this effort even if you can afford a brand new house.
6. Let your family know you are serious about wanting to buy a house. If they see your interest they may find a way to help you.
Good luck with your efforts. I hope these tips will encourage you to move forward with your desire to someday buy a house. If you are looking in the Greater Hudson Vally of NY I would love to work with you to help you get ready. If you are looking elsewhere I would be happy to find an agent where you want to be.
I'm Paddy Pizappi - Work with Me and You'll be Happy!